Finding the time to stay fit and healthy when you’re a busy mum can be difficult as demands from the children can make it almost impossible. Use these following tips to help you live a healthy lifestyle around your family.
1. Block out a preferred time to exercise. If you have an appointment you will be more likely to adhere to your plan.
2. You don’t have to join a gym to exercise. Your living room, garden or local park can be the perfect locations. Walking and taking the stairs when possible can be great calorie burners.
3. If you are time restricted, use full body exercises which will work more muscle groups in a shorter amount of time; A quick, simple programme you could follow would look like this:
4 sets of 15 reps of each exercise. Take 1 min rest between each set.
A1 - Squats
A2 - Lunges
A3 - Press ups
A4 - Banded rows
A5 - 45 seconds mountain climbers
A6 - 1min front plank
A7 - 30 second side plank each side
1. Include your children while you workout, it’s a great way of keeping your children active too!
2. Surround yourself with a network of mums and like-minded individuals. Having that support around you will make your fitness journey even more motivating
3. When it comes to nutrition, preparation is key. Take some time out once/twice a week to mass cook some healthy meals. Throw a load of mixed veg into a pan with some lean protein e.g. chicken or turkey and separate into bags for freezing. That way you have healthy meals ready to go.
4. Try not to pick at your children’s meals as these extra calories can add up very quickly and hinder your goals. Have your own healthy snacks readily available.
5. Use an app like MyFitnessPal which will help you track your calorie or food intake.
6. Adherence is key! Stick to a nutrition plan and exercise routine that is sustainable and enjoyable.